Saturday, October 20, 2007

Himalayan Odyssey - Manali - I

Yeah..some old photographs again. From my bike trip to Leh in Ladakh. Some 2500km long trip which took more than 15 days. Probably one of the most strenuous trips I have been to. Its been a long cherished dream to be up on the mountains. But to do it in bike was something more than I could have asked for.

The route touches 5 Indian states and number of major national high ways. Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh & Jammu & Kashmir. It takes you close to 50km to the India-China border in the north east of Jammu & Kashmir. The route is open only from May to August (Given the low temperature the snow melts only in that season). This also happens to be the season when lot supplies like fuel & other material for the civil & army uses get transported.


I was part of a larger convoy of 40 bikers all convened together by Royal Enfield Ltd (manufacturers of 350 & 500 CC bikes in India, the model itself is a classic from 1950, known as 'bullets'). Please visit Royal Enfield Himalayan Odyssey for more information. I was part of the 2005 expedition. There were similar events conducted in 2006 & 2007. May be you would like to book yourself for 2008 !!...

By the end of second day we reach Manali (28 June 2005). Photographs are from Manali.


DSC00058
1. A beautiful ravine ahead of Manali, on the way to Rohtang Pass (3979 m). I think at that level the place resembles our imagination of paradise. Manali itself is a great tourist spot. People do one day excursions to Rohtang, to see how it is like to climb the breathtaking heights. For us it was all beginning of our hardships.



DSC00002

2. The expedition banner at National Stadium in New Delhi (near India Gate). A souvenir for myself, my name along with 40 other participants at the flag off ceremony. The group included 2 foreign nationals and 3 women.
DSC00051

3. Our camping site at Manali. All bikes parked after days toil on the road.


DSC00036

4. Beautiful Kullu valley in Manali. You are seeing Beas river stretching along. Manali is honeymooner's paradise too.
I will post other photos in the coming posts..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I would like to make this trip too... (you take me on your bike ? lol) Very nice place.

Anonymous said...

WoW...some very beautifully captured shots & lovely reading your description...Excellent!